WHAT TO SEEK AFTER TO HAVE SPIRITUAL GROWTH!
The Christian life should be a life of
spiritual growth. Here in this outline is of what we need to
work toward growing in both our physical and spiritual life.
As we grow in the Spirit we will become more like our
Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ.
I. First is the need of Willingness and Ability to be
- Proverbs 9:9 Give instructions to a wise man, and
he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase
- Proverbs 19:20 Hear counsel, and receive instruction,
that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.
A. Tell me; I'll forget. Show me; I may remember. But involve me and I'll
1. We need to not only be taught but to be doers of the Word.
2. How we learn:
1% through taste
1.5% through touch.
3.5% through smell.
11% through hearing.
83% through sight. (Looks like Hearing and Reading the
Word is very essential)
II. Second the fear of the Lord. (Another word is
obedience of the Lord)
- Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning
of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
A. We fear men so much because we fear God so little. William Gurnall.
1. People often say I would die for the Lord. I believe He wants
you to live for Him more than die for Him. He has already
died for us so that we can live for Him.
2. God wants us to love Him so much that we would only fear hurting
Him by disobeying Him.
III. To be Humble before the Lord.
- Proverbs 11:2, When pride cometh, then cometh
shame: but with the lowly is wisdom.
A. "They that know God will be humble," John Flavel has said, ' and
they that know themselves cannot be proud.
1. Be humble or you'll stumble. D.L. Moody.
2. We need to humble ourselves and not wait until God humbles
us. Remember what happed to King Nebuchadnezzar when God
IV. To love the Lord with all your heart and love your
neighbor as yourself.
- Proverbs 8:17 I love them that love me; and those
that seek me early shall find me.
A. Whoever loves much, does much. Thomas A. Kempis.
1. On the whole, God's love for us is a much safer subject to think
about than our love for Him. C.S. Lewis.
2. There is nothing you can to do make God love you more! There is
nothing you can do to make God love you less! His love is
Unconditional, Impartial, Everlasting, Infinite, Perfect!
Richard C. Halverson.
V. Keep growing your Faith.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and
hearing by the word of God.
A. Little faith will bring your soul to heaven, but great faith will
bring heaven to your soul.
B. Faith is not merely your holding on to God--it is God holding on to
you. He will not let you go! E. Stanley Jones.
C. During an especially trying time in the work of the China Inland
Mission, Hudson Taylor wrote to his wife, "We have
twenty-five cents--and all the promises of God!
D. The more we know of God, the more unreservedly we will trust him; the
greater our progress in theology, the simpler and more
childlike will be our faith. J. G. Machen.
VI. Keep asking God for Wisdom.
- James 1:5 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask
of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth
not; and it shall be given him.
A, God will not with hold Wisdom if asked.
B. Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall
find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
C. THE NEED OF WISDOM.
1. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Nobody lives long
enough to make them all himself.
2. Also a wise man learns by the experience of others. An ordinary
man learns by his own experience. A fool learns by nobody's
3. Wisdom is the power to see and the inclination to choose the
best and highest goal, together with the surest means of
4. Experience comes from what we have done. Wisdom comes from what
we have done badly. Theodore Levitt,
D. In closing Godís Will for us is to be more like Him. To see that
happen we much seek Him and do these things. I received a
question from a woman who is married and has 5 children. The
question was one where she said to pray about a situation.
My answer was simple one telling her to be sure to see what
the Bible says. I could see she wanted someone just to agree
with her. We have to be sure our answers are backed by the
Word of God because GODíS WORD IS GODíS WILL AND GODíS WILL
IS GODíS WORD.