As We Follow the Lord, Let Us!
In this sermon outline we
list thirteen of the Let Us that gives us a path to follow the Lord. We begin
with Let Us arise and go. It is a life long walk with the Lord doing His Will.
WHY? It is because we love Him. As we look at the full context of each Let Us,
we begin to understand that in this Christian walk, we are never alone. He is
always with us, every step of the way. I love the painting of the footprints on
the sand, it begins with two, but after awhile there is only one set. That is
when He begins to carry us. What a wonderful Saviour and Lord!
I. Let us arise and go...
John 14:31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the
Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.
A. Arise and do what?
1. Jesus because the relationship He had with His Father
which was love, He kept His commandment.
2. We do show our love for God when we do His commandments.
II. Let us cast off...
Romans 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore
cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
A. We cast off the worldly things and put on the armour of God found in
III. Let us walk in
- Romans 13:13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and
drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
A. God's people must be honest in all things.
1. The world watches us. There is an old saying that is still
true to day.
"Your actions speak so loud, I cannot hear what you are
IV. Let us be sober....
1 Thes 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the
breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
A. We are children of the day.
B. We are children that are not only sober, but have faith and love with
the hope of salvation.
V. Let us fear.....
Hebrews 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of
entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
A. This is a holy fear.
1. This fear encourages us to run the race set before us.
2. We want all God has for us.
3. One day we want to hear well done!
VI. Let us labor to enter into
- Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man
fall after the same example of unbelief.
A. We need to work for the Lord. We are saved by faith, but that same
faith will encourage us to continue to press on.
VII. Let us come boldly to the
- Heb. 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we
may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
A. We do this by coming to the Lord in prayer.
1. Too often we want to play and not pray.
2. Many of the prayer meetings are gone from our churches.
a. I like what the churches in the CIS, formally
the USSR, call their buildings. They call it a House of Prayer.
b. We need to be bold in our prayers. Praying the
Will and Word of God.
c. C.H. Spurgeon once said, "Prayer pulls the
rope down below and the great bell rings above in the ears of God. Some scarcely
stir the bell, for they pray so languidly; others give only an occasional jerk
at the rope. But he who communicates with heaven is the man who grasps the rope
boldly and pulls continuously with all his might."
VIII. Let us go unto
- Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us
go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead
works, and of faith toward God,
A. There is not stopping place with God.
B. We need to grow in the knowledge of the Lord.
C. A Sunday School teacher once asked a class what was meant by the word
"repentance." A little boy put up his hand and said, "It is being sorry for your
sins." A little girl also raised her hand and said, "It is being sorry enough to
IX. Let us hold fast.......
- Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering;
(for he is faithful that promised;)
A. We should not be ashamed of being a Christian.
1. Some Christians will not even pray and give thanks over
their meals in a public place.
a. I have said at times, how unthankful man is. A
dog will at least wag his tail, a pig grunt when fed, yet man can be so
X. Let us consider one
- Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good
A. Back to His commandment, Love one another!
B. I believe we consider one another by doing good works of love.
1. This is the best way to consider one another, by being an
XI. Let us run with
- Heb 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a
cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so
easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
A. Let us lay aside the worldly things.
B. Let us run the race.
XII. Let us go forth......
- Heb 13:13 KJV Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing
A. Once again, we go following Jesus not only when it is easy
but all the way, even through the hard places.
1. He went all the way to the cross for us.
XIII. Let us offer
- Heb 13:15 KJV By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God
continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
A. Praising God is not a chore if we do it often. David said he praised
the Lord seven times a day.
B. His praise should be continually in our mouths.
In closing: Let us follow
Jesus wherever He takes us!
Oliver Wendell Holmes once said: I find the great thing in this world is not
so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of
heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it--but we
must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.