In this outline we see that the Church must be awake and alert to
what is happening around about them. The way is to have our eyes
open and have a divine vision rising from the Word of God! It is
time for the Church to awake; rise and do the commission go Christ
and evangelize the world. Some of the last words Jesus spoke on
earth were to go into the entire world and preach (tell, live and
demonstrate) the gospel.
- Mat 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and
- Rom 13:11 (KJV) And that, knowing the time, that now it is high
time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than
when we believed. (Rom 13:12 KJV) The night is far spent, the day is
at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us
put on the armour of light.
- Eph 5:14 (KJV) Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and
arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
I. A full chapter is devoted to a church that is awake, who knows
who they are etc.
- 1 Th 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no
need that I write unto you.
A. We must know the time we are living in.
1. It seems as if the church is sleeping.
2. The season we are living in is like Sodom and Gomorrah and
as the days of Lot
3. Many ministers have compromised with the Word and instead
of watching they are sleeping.
- Isa 56:10 (KJV) His watchmen are blind: they are all
ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying
down, loving to slumber.
4. We need to recognize we are the children of light.
- Eph 6:10 (KJV) Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord,
and in the power of his might.
II. We should be awake and alert to the times and seasons as the
Day of the Lord is drawing near. Jesus is coming soon.
- 1 Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so
cometh as a thief in the night.
- 1 Th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden
destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child;
and they shall not escape.
- 1 Th 5:4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day
should overtake you as a thief.
- 1 Th 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the
day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
- 1 Th 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us
watch and be sober.
- 1 Th 5:7 for they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be
drunken are drunken in the night.
- 1 Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the
breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of
A. Faith! We need His faith. Mark 11:22
B. Love! His love shed in our hearts.
C. Hope! Knowing He is coming soon.
III. We need to be awake and minister to one another in the Body
of Christ, the Church.
- 1 Th 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain
salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
- 1 Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we
should live together with him.
- 1 Th 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one
another, even as also ye do.
A. We need each other in the Body of Christ.
- Acts 2:42 (KJV) And they continued stedfastly in the apostles'
doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
IV. We need to be awake and know the Word and the ministers of
- 1 Th 5:12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which
labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
A. I do not believe that God leads people to give to ministries when they
are in sin.
B. You must be involved to know they that labor among you.
C. God given ministries should be honored.
- 1 Th 5:13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake.
And be at peace among yourselves.
1. Having been in the ministry for over 50 years and having
traveled and ministered in over 100 countries I have been both
honored and dishonored. I have had people come to stone me, curse me
but also have been highly honored by high officials of countries.
However, nowhere have I seen ministers more honored than in South
Korea. I have experienced some of it.
IV. We should rejoice and pray and give thanks in the Church.
This will bring joy to your life.
- 1 Th 5:16 Rejoice evermore.
- 1 Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
- 1 Th 5:18 In every thing (not for everything) give thanks: for
this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
A. The devil hates joy.
1. Joy makes the devil 'flee'.
2. Joy gives strength. Neh 8:10.
3. It takes more than a soft pillow to insure sound sleep.
- Eph 5:14 (KJV) Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest,
and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
For more help and info go to: