FOR THANKSGIVING TO GOD
Thanksgiving Day in Canada has been a holiday on the second Monday
of October since 1957. It is a chance for people to give thanks for
a good harvest and other fortunes in the past year. Thanksgiving, or
Thanksgiving Day, is a holiday celebrated in the United States on
the fourth Thursday in November. It has officially been an annual
tradition since 1863, when, during the Civil War, President Abraham
Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our
beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens,"
Scottish minister Alexander Whyte was known for
his uplifting prayers in the pulpit. He always found something for
which to be grateful. One Sunday morning the weather was so gloomy
that one church member thought to himself, "Certainly the preacher
won't think of anything for which to thank the Lord on a wretched
day like this." Much to his surprise, however, Whyte began by
praying, "We thank Thee, O God that it is not always like this.
Two men were walking through a field one day when they spotted an
enraged bull. Instantly they darted toward the nearest fence. The
storming bull followed in hot pursuit, and it was soon apparent they
wouldn't make it. Terrified, the one shouted to the other, "Put up a
prayer, John. We're in for it!" John answered, "I can't. I've never
made a public prayer in my life." "But you must!" implored his
companion. "The bull is catching up to us." "All right," panted
John, "I'll say the only prayer I know, the one my father used to
repeat at the table: 'O Lord, for what we are about to receive, make
us truly thankful.'"
Why did only one cleansed leper return to
The following are nine suggested reasons why the nine did not
1. One waited to see if the cure was real.
2. One waited to see if it would last.
3. One said he would see Jesus later.
4. One decided that he had never had leprosy.
5. One said he would have gotten well anyway.
6. One gave the glory to the priests.
7. One said, "O, well, Jesus didn't really do anything."
8. One said, "Any rabbi could have done it."
9. One said, "I was already much improved."
Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High (Psa
50:14 KJV) :
- I Chronicles 16:8 Give thanks unto the Lord, call upon his name,
and make known his deeds among the people.
- Psalms 68:19 Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with
benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.
- Psalms 107:22 And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of
thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing.
• Some people act as if they had nothing to be thankful for!
• A lack of thankfulness is a lack of thoughtfulness.
• Ingratitude is probably the less attractive attitude anyone could
I. BECAUSE OF THE PROSPERITY HE HAS GIVEN US.
- Deuteronomy 8:10 When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou
shalt bless the Lord thy God for the good land which he hath given
II. BECAUSE HE HAS MADE US “MEASURE UP” TO THE ABILITY TO BE
- Colossians 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us
meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
III. BECAUSE IT IS THE WILL OF GOD.
- I Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the
will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
IV. BECAUSE OF HIS RIGHTEOUS DECISIONS.
- Psalms 119:62 At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee
because of thy righteous judgments.
V. BECAUSE OF HIS ENABLING US TO MINISTER.
- I Timothy 1:12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled
me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
VI. BECAUSE IT IS A GOOD THING TO DO. [AND CHRISTIANS DO GOOD!]
- Psalms 92:1 (A Psalm or Song for the Sabbath day.)
It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises
unto thy name, O most High:
VII. BECAUSE OF THE HEALING HE HAS PROVIDED.
- Luke 17:16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him
thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
- VIII. BECAUSE OF THE VICTORY HE HAS GIVEN US OVER SIN AND DEATH
- I Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the
victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
VIII. BECAUSE OF THE UNSPEAKABLE GIFT OF HIS SON JESUS CHRIST.
- II Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer
and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known
God bless you and yours!
On behalf of this generation,
Your friends in the service of Christ,
and Marge Abram
Abundant Life Crusades
If we could be
of more help or if you want more information please visit:
The Good News
Web Pages and HTML Sources are
©Copyright 2016 |
Web Development: Digital Smiles