|The Best Mother's Day Gift
Did you know that the
idea for Mother's Day was born in a small Methodist church in Grafton, West
It was 1876 and the nation still mourned the Civil War dead. While teaching a
Memorial Day lesson, Mrs. Anna Reeves Jarvis thought of mothers who had lost
their sons. She prayed that one day there could be a "Memorial Day" for mothers.
The prayer made a deep impression on one of Mrs. Jarvis's eleven children. Young
Anna had seen her mother's efforts to hold the war-split community and church
together. As she grew into adulthood, the younger woman kept Mrs. Jarvis's dream
in her heart. On the day of her mother's death, Anna was determined to establish
Mother's Day in her honor.
On May 12, 1907, a local
observance was held which later spread to Philadelphia. By 1910, Mother's Day
was celebrated in forty-five states, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Canada, and Mexico.
Elated, Miss Jarvis told a friend, "Where it will end must be left for the
future to tell. That it will circle the globe now seems certain."
On May 8, 1914, President Wilson designated the second Sunday in May as Mother's
Day "for displaying the American flag and for the public expression of love and
reverence for the mothers of the country."
I. Mothers Day is a very important day to honour our mothers and we should
honour them every day.
"A child without a mother is like a door without a knob." - Jewish proverb
- Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon
the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
A. Honouring your mother brings benefits to your life.
1. It brings long life, if you want a long life honor both
your father and mother.
- Deut 5:16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded
thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the
land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
2. The blessing of God will follow you everywhere. It is good
and will be with you in every land and place.
a. I know the blessings of God has follows me
into over 125 countries where God has sent us to take His Word over the past 47
B. It is not just an old but also a New Testament teaching.
Eph 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment
with promise;) .
II A Sign of last days in Matt. 24 is rebellion and disobedience to parents.
- 2 Tim 3:2 KJV - disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
- Prov 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law
of thy mother:.
A. Disobedience reaps terrible results.
- Matt 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and,
He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
- Lev 20:9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be
surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be
- Prov 28:24 Whoso robbeth his father or his mother, and saith, It is no
transgression; the same is the companion of a destroyer.
B. God's Will for children is to honor their mother:
1. love and care for their mother
- Prov 23:22 Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and
despise not thy mother when she is old. .
a. Jesus is our perfect example toward His
- John 19:26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother,
and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith
unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
- John 19:27 Then saith he to the disciple,
Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took
her unto his own home.
2. Jesus cared and provided for His earthy mother.
3. We should do no less. We are following Jesus.
III. Mothers should love, care and pray for their children.
A. Mothers do want the best for their children.
- Matt 20:20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her
sons, worshipping him, and
desiring a certain thing of him.
- Matt 20:21 And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him,
Grant that these my two sons
may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.
1. Sometimes children do not realize their motherís care and
love until it is too late.
- Prov 4:3 For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved
in the sight of my mother.
B. I often say that Mom has helped to care me over the years in the
ministry with her prayers. At the preaching of this message, she is almost 94,
still works as my secretary and still prays for my wife and I.
C. Mothers have to do most everything.
1. Seen on a church sign: "If evolution is true, how come
mothers still have only two hands?"
2. A fifteen-year-old boy came bounding into the house and
found his mom in bed. He asked if she were sick or something. He was truly
concerned. Mom replied that, as a matter of fact, she didn't feel too well. The
son replied, "Well, don't worry a bit about dinner. I'll be happy to carry you
down to the stove."
IV. Mothers need to be example to their children.
They can not say do as I say and not as I do.
- Ezek 16:44 Behold, every one that useth proverbs shall use this proverb
against thee, saying, As is the mother, so is her daughter. .
A. Salome had a mother who was a bad example.
- Matt 14:8 And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me
here John Baptist's head in a
B. Paul tells Timothy what is a Good Example.
- 1 Tim 2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good
- 1 Tim 5:2 The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all
- Titus 2:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love
their husbands, to love their children,
C. Mother should always pray for their children.
- Mark 5:23 And besought him greatly, saying, My little daughter lieth at
the point of death: I pray thee, come and lay thy hands on her, that she may
behealed; and she shall live. .
1. My mother was the first Christian in our family and she
prayed the whole family into the kingdom. She still is praying.
V. Proverbs tells us of a good Bible example of a mother and wife.
- Pro 31:11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he
shall have no need of spoil.
- Pro 31:12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
- Pro 31:13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
- Pro 31:20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her
hands to the needy.
- Pro 31:21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her
household are clothed with scarlet.
- Pro 31:25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time
- Pro 31:26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of
- Pro 31:27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the
bread of idleness.
- Pro 31:28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and
he praiseth her.
- Pro 31:31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her
in the gates.
WHAT RULES THE WORLD.
They say that man is mighty,
He governs land and sea,
he wields a mighty scepter
over lesser powers than he.;
but mightier power and stronger
Man from his throne has hurled,
for the hand that rocks the cradle
is the hand that rules the world.
by Wm Ross Wallace
BEST MOTHER'S DAY YOU CAN GIVE YOUR MOTHER IS TO SURRENDER YOUR LIFE TO JESUS.
SHE WILL REJOICE HERE OR WITH THE ANGELS IN HEAVEN.
God bless you and yours!
On behalf of this generation,
Your friends in the service of Christ,
Tony and Marge Abram
Abundant Life Crusades
If we could be of
more help or if you want more information please visit: