|KEYS OF THE KINGDOM
16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his
disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
- 14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some,
Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
- 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
- 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of
the living God.
- 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon
Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my
Father which is in heaven.
- 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I
will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against
- 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and
whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and
whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
In this sermon outline we look at some of the Keys of Power that the
Lord has given to the Church. The sad thing is that many times the
Church does not use that which God has given us, so that we may
successfully do the commission of the Church, which is the evangelism of
the world. Nor to we use that which God has provided the Church that we
might be a people of victory and not one of defeat.
I. Jesus asked the question, "Whom do men say that I the Son of man
am?" (Mt 16:13)
A. He is more than any prophet.
B. Then He asked, "He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?"
1. The world can curse Him and speak and make movies that
make Him the low of the lowest.
C. The question that really matters is who do we say He is?
D. Peter answers the question with, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the
E. He is more than a man or prophet.
1. He is the Christ!
2. He is the Son of God
3. He is the Word made Flesh!
- John 1:14 (KJV) And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt
among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of
the Father,) full of grace and truth.
II. The message of Jesus being the Christ is a work of the Holy
Jesus said, it was not a work of the flesh or of head knowledge.
"Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed
it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven."
A. We must not only hear the Word of God we must believe that Jesus is
1. This is the Work of the Holy Spirit making Jesus know to
2. This is how we are saved and become a "new creature"
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV) Therefore, if anyone is in
Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all
things have become new.
- Romans 10:9-10 (KJV) That if thou shalt confess with thy
mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath
raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto
III. Upon this confession God builds His Church.
"That thou art Peter, (stone or pebble) and upon this rock (a rock
like the Rock of Gibraltar) I will build my church."
A. It is upon this Rock, the Lord Jesus Christ and confession that He is
the Christ that God has built and continues to build His Church.
B. Jesus is greater than all the powers of Hell. "and the gates of hell
shall not prevail against it."
- Romans 8:31 (KJV) What shall we then say to these things? If God be for
us, who can be against us?
C. I love the words to the old hymn The Rock of Ages.
IV. The Keys.
They evidently are source of power and blessing.
- Matthew 16:19 (YLT) and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of
the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be
having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon
the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.
A. With the Keys we will be able to bind and loose on earth what has been
performed in heaven.
1. The devil was bound and kicked out.
a. We can do the same in our lives.
2. The perfect Will of God is operating in Heaven.
a. We can pray and let God operate His Will in
b. How? Romans 12:1 (KJV) I beseech you
therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies
a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable
V. I believe that the
following are four of the most important keys, (promises and tools) that
God has give unto the Church.
A. The Holy Spirit is the first Key.
- Acts 1:4 (KJV) And, being assembled together with them, commanded them
that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of
the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
- Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized
with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
- Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him,
saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to
-Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come
upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in
all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
1. The source of Spiritual Power comes from the Holy Spirit.
2. He reveals Christ to us as He did for Peter.
3. We cannot be converted and saved unless the Holy Spirit
reveals Jesus as Saviour and He does it through the second key, The Word
B. The Second Key is the Word of God.
1. The Word is unchanging.
- Psalm 119:89 (KJV) For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in
- Matthew 24:35 (KJV) Heaven and earth shall pass away, but
my words shall not pass away.
2. The Word of God is the Promises of God.
3. The Word is the Good News.
C. The Third Key is the Name of Jesus Christ.
- Acts 4:12 (KJV) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is
none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
1. Salvation is only in that Name
2. There is no Name like that Name.
3. Name we pray in to the Father.
- John 16:23 (KJV) And in that day ye shall ask me nothing.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my
name, he will give it you.
a. Only that Name can bring answered prayer.
4. It is the Name the devil flees from and the Name we can
cast out demons.
- Luke 11:20 (KJV) But if I with the finger of God cast out
devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.
5. We do all things through that Name.
- Col 3:17 (KJV) And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all
in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by
D. The fourth is Faith and Faith is like the ’key chain’ that holds the
keys together and together is how they work in our churches and lives.
1. Remember, you can have a key and not use it. God wants us
to use the keys He has provided in our lives as we follow Him.
2. God has given us His faith when we were converted to
Christ. Romans 12:3 (KJV) For I say, through the grace given unto me, to
every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he
ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to
every man the measure of faith.
a. God’s measure is a full measure.
3. It is impossible to please God without using our Faith.
Heb Hebrews 11:6 (KJV) But without faith it is impossible to please him:
for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a
rewarder of them that diligently seek him. 11:3
For more help and info go to: www.tonyabram.com.
God bless you and yours!
On behalf of this generation,
Your friends in the service of Christ,
Tony and Marge Abram
Abundant Life Crusades
For more help and info please visit: