Abundant Life Crusades
|WHAT HAPPENED AFTER JESUS SAID
"IT IS FINISHED"!
In this sermon outline we point out some of the events that took place during those three days following the words of Jesus when He said "IT IS FINISHED." Concluding with what Jesus is doing for us today. We go from the cross to hell and paradise all the way to this world to heaven.
John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
I. WHAT DID JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SAID "IT IS FINISHED?"
A. He did what He came to do.
- John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
1. He told His disciples what He would do.
- Matt 26:1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished all these sayings, he said unto his disciples, Matt 26:2 Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.
II. What then happened during the next 3 days?
- 1 Pet 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
- 1 Pet 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
- 1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
A. He preached for 3 days in hell.
1, Hell was different then.
Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. .
a. Who did He preach to?
1 Pet 4:5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. 1 Pet 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
b. He preached to both sides of the gulf that separated hell and paradise and they all heard His Words.
Isaiah 14:9 Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.
III. He took the keys of Hell and Death from the Spirit of Hell and Death.
Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
A. Death and Hell are like a demonic spirit.
Rev 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
IV. Nowhere does it say in the Bible that the devil is in hell at this time.
A. Hell is prepared for the devil and his angels that fell with him. Hell was never originally prepared for man.
- Matt 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
- Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
1. God does not send men to hell.
a. Man sends himself to hell by rejecting Godís plan of salvation.
b. Receiving Jesus Christ as your own personal Saviour is how we accept Godís plan of salvation.
a. Hell is prepared for those who reject Christ.
b. There are good parking places on the road to hell.
c. Every soul winner believes in hell.
d. Those trying to prove there is no hell usually have a reason for it.
B. Hell and death will also be cast into the Lake of Fire!
- Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire.
This is the second death.
V. He arose from the dead.
- Ps 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither
wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
A. He did not remain dead or in hell. (Paradise)
- Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. .
- A. He took those keys of hell and death and opened the doors of the prison.
1. I believe the fallen angels in hell were afraid!
2. No one did what Jesus did before.
3. He was leaving (Paradise, Hell) No one ever did that.
4. He was taking all the righteous ones with Him that died and were in Paradise to be with Him in heaven.
Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
5. Remember the words of Paul, (2 Cor 5:8 KJV) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
6. When a child of God dies, we no longer descend to paradise but our spirit goes to be with the Lord in heaven waiting with Him for the resurrection of the dead.
VI. He was on His way to the Father.
- John 20:14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
-John 20:15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. John 20:16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. .
A. Mary could not touch Him.
B. He had not yet placed His blood on the Mercy Seat in heaven.
C. Remember even the high priest would be destroyed if he tried to go into the Holy of Holies if someone touched him on his way to put the blood on the mercy seat.
D. Jesus was our high priest on His way to the mercy seat in heaven as He had shed His own blood for us.
VII. Passing through the second heavens He did something more.
- Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
A. The devil is called the prince of the power of the air.
- Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
1. Roman generals would publicly strip the defeated general
of their titles and power.
a. Jesus stripped the devil openly.
Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
1. Jesus is the Bright and Morning Star.
2. Devil the deceiver, Jesus the Mighty Counselor
3. Satan the liar, Jesus the Way, Life and TRUTH.
VIII. Then Jesus marched up the streets of Glory.
- Ps 24:7 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
- Ps 24:8 Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
A. This why we are now more that conquerors. Romans 8:37.
IX. In conclusion, what happened to the saints from paradise?
- Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect. .
A. What happened to hell?
Isaiah 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: ............
B. What is Jesus doing for us now?
- Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, .
-Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
1. He is our intercessor, our advocate and lawyer in heave.
C: What about us?
- Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
1. He is blessing us with all spiritual blessings.
2. He has raised us up to sit with Him.
- Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
3. He gives us full protection.
- Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. .
X. Conclusion conclusion!
The devil is the universeís greatest loser.
- Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
Charlie Peace, a criminal in England, on the day he was being taken to his execution, listened to a minister reading from the Word. And when he found out he was reading about heaven and hell, he looked at the preacher and said, "Sir, if I believed what you and the church of God say, and even if England were covered with broken glass from coast to coast, I would walk over it on hands and knees and think it worthwhile living just to save one soul from an eternal hell like that."
Hell is truth seen too late.
God bless you and yours!
On behalf of this generation,
Your friends in the service of Christ,
Tony and Marge Abram
Abundant Life Crusades
For more help and info please visit:
www.tonyabram.com or www.abundantlifecrusades.com