Be Watchful In All Things!
In this sermon outline we point out the exhortation the Word gives us to watch.
We cannot ever have a vision if we do not have a vision. Our vision and
watchfulness must be with the Lord. Unless the Lord keep the city, the watchman
waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1 Godís Word often refers to the Christian
experience as a walk, seldom as a run, and never as a mad dash. We can walk much
better if we have our eyes open and have them upon Him, our Lord.
- 2 Tim 4:5 KJV But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the
work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
I. Paul told Timothy a number
of times to be watchful, here He says to watch all things.
A. Jesus said to Watch and Pray.
- Mat 26:41 KJV Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation:
the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
B. What are we to watch for when we pray?
1. The works of the flesh that keeps us from praying.
2. Are we praying the prayer of faith?
3. Are we praying according to the Will of God? The Word is
4. Are we mindful of those in need around us?
5. Do we lift us our eyes and see the ripen harvest field
a. I believe the reason Jesus said to look on the
fields and pray was so that He could say to us "Go Ye" when we pray.
- Mark 13:33 KJV Take ye heed, watch and
pray: for ye know not when the time is.
Excuses are the cradle ...
that Satan rocks men off to sleep in. - D.L. Moody
II. We need to watch our desires. We should be like
- 1 Pet 2:2 KJV As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word,
that ye may grow thereby:
A: Desire Word of God.
1. God watches over His Word.
- Jer 1:12 KJV Then said the LORD unto me, Thou hast
well seen: for I will hasten my word to perform it.
a. To Understand God we must know the Word of
i. We then can trust Godís Word.
III. We must watch and desire Spiritual Gifts.
- 1 Cor 14:1 KJV Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but
rather that ye may prophesy.
A. Chapter 12 and 14 of I. Corinthians is like the bread and 13th Chapter
is the meat.
IV. We should watch and desire Heavenly Habitation.
A. Desire Heaven.
1. If you desire heaven you need to get ready by taking on
its likeness and traits.
a. Story of 90-year-old man in India, looked 60,
when he was 23 died, 3 angels came and raised him up in his vision when he was
prayed for by the brethren. Some of the resurrected power still remained on him.
V. We must watch and desire Godís direction for our lives.
- Prov 16:9 KJV A manís heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth
- Eph 4:17 KJV This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye
henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
A. Paul tells us how to walk in Ephesians 6 times.
B. Walk in good works.
- Eph 2:10 KJV For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus
unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
C. Walk worthy of our calling.
- Eph 4:1 KJV I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you
that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
1. To follow Christ is to walk with Him first into the
presence of His Father. If that is so, we had better know how to act in the
divine presence now - in this present life and then - in the life
everlasting . Ultimately, we will be there a long, long time. Gordon MacDonald
D. Not to walk as unbelievers walk.
- Eph 4:17 KJV This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that
ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
E. We are to walk in Love.
- Eph 5:2 KJV And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and
hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet
F. We are to walk as children of His Light.
- Eph 5:8 KJV For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light
in the Lord: walk as children of light:
1. The Christian walk is much like riding a bicycle; we are
either moving forward or falling off. -- Robert Tuttle
G. Walk in wisdom, His wisdom.
- Eph 5:15 KJV See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools,
but as wise,
VI. Then we must watch our Doctrine.
- 1 Tim 4:6 KJV If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these
things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words
of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
- 1 Tim 4:13 KJV Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation,
- 1 Tim 4:16 KJV Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue
in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear
Nothing makes a man so
virtuous as belief of the truth. A lying doctrine will soon beget a lying
practice. A man cannot have an erroneous belief without by-and-by having an
erroneous life. I believe the one thing naturally begets the other.
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon
Christianity is not, and never
has been, about finding the right combination of words! It is about encountering
the living and loving God.
God bless you and yours!
On behalf of this generation,
Your friends in the service of Christ,
and Marge Abram
Abundant Life Crusades
If we could be
of more help or if you want more information please visit: